How to exercise properly is a quite common question that many beginners in the gym ask. This is a must knowledge to acquire, because it will help you avoid harmful or slight injuries. And they should not be underestimated at all. Sometimes, an injury in the gym might cause a serious trauma and eventually even a chronic pain or joint disease like arthritis. Speaking of which, if you already have such diagnose and you need to lose weight or to improve your flexibility, better find out how to avoid injuries in the gym before starting any kind of workout regime. Preventing injuries during exercising is out today`s topic we would like to discuss. Here are some good tips you should by all means consider, if you want to have a proper workout, efficient results and zero traumas while you are in the gym or at home – performing your daily exercises for better flexibility and less joint stiffness.
Proper warm up is the key!
When you wonder how to exercise properly, you might forget one of the most important and significant part of your overall workout – the proper warm up. Any training class, if you visit professional courses or group fitness programs, starts with some warm up. And there is a big reason for it. If you your bones, muscles and your body at all does not prepare for the workout properly, the chance to get an injury is quite possible. You cannot push your legs or hands too harsh, you need to predispose them for some physical activity in the beginning. Moreover – if your main goal of your workout regime is to support normal chronic arthritis condition, you need to be even more careful. When your joints are weak or inflamed any sudden move is a risk. And when you have osteoporosis or arthritis, you need to on mandatory have some proper warm up for at least half an hour – especially if you are in the beginning of your active life. Experts usually call it the smart start of the training – it it well-fitting and supportive. Running is a very good start, as a a matter of fact, but if your pain is too huge, start with ordinary stretching.
How to avoid injuries during workout – step by step guide!
Here are some of the most efficient tips you need to take under consideration, when it comes to preventing injuries during exercising. All pieces of advice are suitable to both: healthy people and those patients, who have any problems with joints, including people with arthritis.
- You need to be fully aware of your body abilities. Only by knowing your body you can help it. If you have knee pain, you need to avoid any harsh exercises that put pressure only on the knee. If you have strong muscles on your legs, make sure most of your anti arthritis exercises are counting on this strength, so the whole workout can be beneficial for all of your joints.
- If you need to, get some help. People with rehabilitation problems and those, who are medically prescribed to have exercises for more flexibility and mobility. Personal trainer is always a great start for your active life. He or she will explain you what the best ways to move are. Also, if you are training with a medical rehabilitation expert, he or she would know how to help your joint recovery. If you do not know how to train at all, better don`t start at all. You can harm yourself a lot!
- Be constant. Injuries appear when joints feel pressed or pushed up too harsh. And this usually happens to people, who are not active at all in general. Their muscles are not used to feel pressure, their body is not aware how bear the different weights and difficulties in each exercise. But if you are regular in your daily training, you will teach your bones, joints and muscles how to perform each movement properly. Eventually, the muscle strain will also go away.
- Be gradual! Do not push your knees or neck too harsh, if they are yet in pain or inflamed. The progress should be gradual, if you want it to be permanent. Be gradual with the tempo, too, and make sure you do not start running quite fast in the beginning or too harsh with weight lifting during your first minutes in the gym.
- Do not have workout hungry or thirsty. Do not go in the gym, when you are too tired. If you have problems with joints and you are coming back too tired from work, your training isn`t going to be effective. On the contrary – you can harm yourself and your joints will stiff and hurt even more. Light meal before workout is a must. It takes about half an hour for the food to get absorbed by your body and then, you can go to the gym. Fruits and veggies are ok, but some cereal is also a fantastic idea. Have a bottle of water by your side in the gym on mandatory. Drink small amount of water between the exercising sessions.
- Have rests between the different exercises series. This is not an attempt to adjust your stiffed body to movements, but a precocious measure against traumas. Besides, muscles cannot develop and joints cannot heal from each exercise, if you don`t go smoothly from one to another.
- Do not perform an exercise you have seen on the TV, but have never tried before at home. This is an initiative that might end up with an injury. Even if you are lucky and you miss the trauma, there will be no effect for you. Gain some more experience in the gym and eventually you will come to the conclusion how to perform all the exercises without causing yourself any trauma.
- Beware with the weights. Ok, most of anti arthritis exercises indeed include weight lifting. However, you should not go too far with weights. Gradually increase the kilos and see what your limit is. Do not cross this limit till your body gets stronger.
- Know that stretching is a good idea for warm up (if you are a beginner), but they are not the same things. Warm up is your first set of movements and exercises, the first thing you do in the gym. But stretching is something we can perform between the different exercises according to the body parts you press on with each of them.
- Do not remain in the gym for too long. Tiredness is also a big enemy of joint inflammation. If you exhaust your body too much, when having a disease like arthritis, you will not make the things better, but might even worsen them.
- Always have a good rest after workout. Rest means lying and sitting, but having a walk is even a better idea. By walking your muscles will relax, while if you decide to sleep after the gym and your exercising was wrongly performed, stiffness of joints and muscles is possible.
Pain-free workout is not a mission impossible, especially if you have in mind all of the tips from above. Make sure you consider each of them, because no matter how simple and stupid they sound to you now, eventually you will see a point in each of them. Never lose motivation to go to the gym – it`s good for your body, but for your spirit, too! And when the spirit is healthy, so is the body!