Joint injuries are very harsh and they have to be prevented. But once they happen, it becomes even harder to recover. Unfortunately, the pain that these types of trauma appear is huge. Sometimes, the least injury of a shoulder senses like a breakage or even worse – lifetime stiffness. But you should not worry, if suddenly your shoulder starts hurting a lot in the gym. It`s not broken. You just have a trauma. And you can cope with it quite fast, if you know the right methods, which we are about to share with you. By the way, most of the following shoulder injury recovery exercises are fully compatible to rehabilitation after arthritis complication, surgery or any other intervention by a medical expert. So, if you are ready, find out more about our shoulder anti pain exercising guide.
Rotator cuff exercises – the best ways to stop the pain and to speed up shoulder trauma rehabilitation
Rotator cuff exercises are popular set of specially tailored shoulder exercise. If practiced properly, they are able to make your shoulders more flexible and stronger, as well as to minimize some of the worst side effects of joint diseases like arthritis, for instance. However, if you have such diagnose, or you are just too neglected of a really strict fitness program and you do not conduct it with a specialist, rotator cuff injury becomes an always possible outcome of your workout. Since shoulder joint is the most complex joint from the entire human body (an it has really many joints all over its skeleton systems), you need to be very precise how you perform your everyday exercises. Otherwise, you can get some of these rotator cuff symptoms:
- Tearing of the muscle, which will eventually put a bad effect on your shoulder joint, too. Usually, torn muscle becomes a result of cuff tendon.
- Impingements are also possible side effect of a rotator cuff injury. It happens due to swelling of the shoulder joint or muscle. Sometimes, both might swell and this could lead to a very serious complication.
- Incapability to perform some ordinary motions. Such a trauma is very popular among beginners in hard fitness training. This is when you overestimate yourself and you exhaust your shoulder joint to a level that it stops being as flexible as usual.
Alright, up to now we have mentioned only bad sides of the rotator cuff exercises. We have understood that they cause some really serious traumas. And we have understood that in many cases, rotator cuff injury can lead to some negative rotator cuff symptoms. Though, is it possible after all to use the rotator cuff exercises to heal, to stop the pain, to eliminate the stiffness of your shoulders? Yes, there is such a way, but the idea is to perform the exercises strictly right. Here is what you need to know about it:
- Always keep the balance of your body on a high level. This is the first thing you need to consider in order to avoid rotator cuff injuries.
- Avoid doing any behind the neck military presses – especially below the earlobe. This will separate the shoulder joint to an abnormal degree.
- If you have an injury due to rotator cuff exercise, the very first thing you need to do is to stop exercising. Apply ice on the shoulder and remain in a still position for the next hours. In two days you can continue practicing your exercises, but in a less tempo and in slow motions. This is how you will prepare your shoulder for rehabilitation. Eventually, with the gradual increase of the tempo and the speed, your shoulder will get back to its normal condition and will become again healthy and flexible as before.
- Any rotator cuff exercise should begin with a little bit of stretching. If you have joint inflammation or you are diagnosed with arthritis, doctors will tell you to continue performing the rotator cuff exercises, but alongside with them, you will need some proper warm up.
- Use your whole power to evaluate what is the maximum of your motions. Do not press or puss too hard on your body. Test yourself slowly and only when you understand that you can bear the pressure, continue with the performance of the exercise.
- When having joint problems, shoulders are very threatened to develop inflammation and loss of mobility. This is why you need to forget about locking them off forever. And this is why you need to consider rotator cuff exercise as your prophylaxis.
- During the first stage of your rehabilitation, it is recommended for you to try the pendulum exercises. They are also kinds of rotator cuff exercises, but not so dynamic and harsh to be executed. Put the bodyweight relaxing on the healthy shoulder and gently let the arm to swing. Then, keep the injured shoulder at a resting posture, while the weight is yet shifted between the feet. Thus, you will have to initiate a back and forwards movements to recover the flexibility, to prepare the shoulder to eliminate the pain from the injury.
- Isometric shoulder exercises are also extremely beneficial for your shoulder joints. The main goal in these exercises is contracting the muscle with no motion of the limb. You have to rely on the wall or other immovable object for a stand. The movements can vary, but if you have a recent trauma, do not make any sudden motions.
- Scapular squeeze is performed, while you are sitting. Your elbows are placed at the back side in squeezing position towards the shoulder blades together. You need to remain in this position for about 15 seconds. If you can`t, reduce the time up to 5 seconds and gradually, with each next day increase it with few more seconds.
- Bouhler exercises are about making your shoulders and your joints strong again. This means that these rotator cuff exercises are mainly suitable for the last stage of the rehabilitation. The middle back muscles are your main support in this exercising. Rely on them and try to see how flexible your shoulder has become again. When you gradually increase the pressure, you might feel some pain in the beginning. Do not worry, it is not the trauma back again here with the pain, but the last hurting senses of your rehabilitation.
Rotator cuff exercises are very beneficial for both – supporting your joints in healthy condition and overcoming an existing injury. You have to be very careful with each of these movements, though, because if you are making something wrong, you might end up with another trauma – rotator cuff injury. This is why a consultation with a specialist in advance is a must. On mandatory, have a fitness instructor by your side in case you have joint inflammation or any other similar disease. Your doctor should be aware of your workout practice, too, so he can manage the most suitable for your personal case treatment. The rest is all about your motivation. Do you want to kill the pain? Then, make the exercises correctly! Do you want to be healthy, then, simply move!