Hallux rigidus is arthritis of the big toe joint. It is the most common arthritic condition of the foot and second only to hallux valgus (bunion) as a condition associated with the big toe. Females are more commonly affected than males in all age groups, and the condition typically develops in adults between the ages of 30 and 60 years.
In most cases, a surgery is needed for fully removal of the Hallux rigidus symptoms. Recovery depends upon the type of surgery performed. For cheilectomy and interpositional arthroplasty, most surgeons recommend wearing a hard-soled sandal and allowing weightbearing as tolerated for about two weeks before a gradual return to normal footwear. For arthrodesis procedures, the foot may be immobilized with a cast for six to eight weeks, and limited weightbearing may be allowed with crutches for two to three months. The patient should expect some swelling of the foot for several months after the procedure.Most patients present with a complaint of pain in the big toe joint while active, especially when pushing off to walk. Others note swelling and stiffness around the big toe joint or an inability to bend the toe up or down. A bump, like a bunion or bone spur, can develop on top of the big toe joint and be aggravated by rubbing against the inside of a shoe.
All of these mean that you need to be able to find the best shoes for Hallux Rigidus, if you want to lead a normal life. But before giving you some basic instructions, let`s start with some universal tips:
- In order to correctly choose new shoes, you should examine your old shoes. Find out where the most worn out shoes – internal or external party shoes. The left shoe and right shoe are the same worn-out?
- You need to make feet wet and stand on the paper. Look at your wet footprint. Maybe you have flat feet?
- After researching his legs decide what you need shoes, and for what purposes. To work needed comfortable shoes for every day. For the prevention and treatment – a special orthopedic shoes. You always for your feet should be comfortable shoes
- For your feet you should buy comfortable shoes with soft soles with shock-absorbing properties..
- Do you have hallux valgus? Forget the narrow high-heel shoes.
- If you have hallux valgus that does not mean that you will now be ugly shoes. There are many firms that produce a beautiful comfortable and fashionable shoes. If you like high-heel shoes, it can be replaced with shoes with high platform.
- If you need high-heel shoes, buy shoes one size larger and wider feet.
- What would you feel comfortable walking around with your foot pain in the big toe shoes buy low heels.
- For the prevention of hallux valgus using shoes that separates each toe of your foot. Especially pay attention to the thumb. For the prevention walk barefoot and do special exercises. Take a foot massage, using special creams.
- Request a special orthopedic comfortable shoes that make orthopedic specialists individually for you. Look at photos of comfortable shoes. Some ideas to help you select comfortable shoes.
IMPORTANT to keep in mind: Avoid shoes with stitching, straps or seams that run across the prominent joint. This will only add pressure to a susceptible area and can cause corns, calluses or blisters Choose a shoe with a firm sole which will help to support the painful joint and reduce movement to a certain extent. Look for elastic uppers for the front area of the shoe. Elastic can stretch and will accommodate any toe deformities and the enlarged big toe joint that occurs with hallux rigidus. Find a shoe with a lace or a strap. The laces can be adjusted to allow more room in the front of the shoe to accommodate the enlarged joint. A lace or a strap also holds your foot in place so that it does not slip forwards in the shoe. You’ll want the widest point of your foot to correspond to the widest part of the shoe. If your foot slips forward, your big toe joint will be irritated and the condition may worsen.