Effects of smoking on joints
Smoking has many negative effects, but many people do not realise that it is connected with joint pain and stifness. Let's see how does smoking effects the joints in our body.
Smoking has been always considered as the top reason for numerous diseases, including fatal cancer and chronic pain in all parts of human's body. According to the statistics, 440,000 people from the United States die from tobacco-related illnesses due annually. The results of common researches in Europe are even worse. The annual number of this group of people, who have put themselves into a really risky for the overall health condition situation is more than 500 thousands. These are not all of the scary facts smoking comes with. According to an official research made in Australia, smokers live less than non-smokers – with about 8 years. The most classical diseases due to nicotine addition and consumption are usually connected with the heart, as well as the respiratory system. Though, cancer (many types of it) is the main serious suggestive consequence of long-lasting life with cigarettes. However, it is curious that only few people are aware of the giant risk for joints smoking hides and causes. Yes, it is not a secret to anybody that nicotine mostly affects breathing and vascular systems, but the truth is that it has an overall negative effect on your organism and body. Musculoskeletal health is quite threatened by smoking and today this problem is going to be our top picked-up topic to discuss. Here are the main effects of smoking on joints. Here is the full review of the worsening process on bones, joints, muscles and movements smoking does engender.
How come smoking does affect joints, too?
To understand it fully, you need to at first figure it out how smoking in general works on your body. This is why eventually it affects your joints and bones, too. When smoking, especially for more than 5 years with no intermission, nicotine shows its influence on a cellular level of all organs and body parts. It does not just harm the “outside” area or surface of the organ, but it gets inside it, so even if you start curing it, you will need more time for the treatment. The cellular affection of smoking on joints is mostly reversible. The tissues begin losing the ability to rejuvenate. This means that regardless an in time treatment, you might be not fully able to get rid of the effects of smoking on joints. There is another consequence you need to know. If you have hurting joints they will hurt more due to the effects of smoking on joints. So, smoking makes it harder both – to relieve the pain and to cure the joins. On the other side, there is a necessity of a more detailed research and look over the effects of smoking on joints. Let`s make it now.
Smoking makes a joint injury more possible than if you are a non-smokers
Studies show that regardless the way an accident happen, any hit, crash or bump on a smoker leads to an injury 80% more times than when it comes to a non-smoker. The risk of injury increases due to the main effects of smoking on joints. Joints become quite weaker. The chance to get a trauma due to an injury, if you are a smoker is bigger than if you are not. Also, according to the researches if you are a “mature”smoker, e.g. you are above your 50s or you have smoked more more than 10 years, then it is much likely for you to break a hip or to get a joint stiffness. At some point this might be explained due to the following common side effects of smoking on joints:
Smoking does affect the blood flow and circulation. To be more specific, it does decrease the speed of the circulation, which makes the joints fragile and anemic
- Also, one of the effects of smoking on joints is that it slows down the production of new tissues. This occurs in a high level on both – joints and bones, but sometimes muscles are also affected. When muscles aren't strong, injuries are more possible, too. These tissues are made of cells called osteoblasts.
- When a person smokes, his or her organism is incapable to absorb calcium well. Even if you take food supplements with high quantity of calcium, smoking with suppress calcium absorption. Why does this concern you and what does it have with effects of smoking on joints to do? Well, calcium is one of the most important vitamin and building material for joints. When they are weakened or need some strength, they use calcium to rejuvenate. However, smoking does not allow them to absorb as much as calcium they actually need. And the low amount of calcium in joints lead to more possible injuries and easy traumas to occur.
- Smoking is also responsible for the low level of estrogen in the body, as well as estrogen low frequency of efficiency. The main function of estrogen for joints is that it keeps the whole skeleton – including the joints – in top condition. Estrogen collapse and deficit are very common causes for chronic diseases of joints. It is a curious fact that smoking does affect estrogen collaboration with some body systems in both – women and men, even though women have less amount of estrogen. Still, smoking harms joints in men and women with equal negative power.
- Smoking does slow down the healing and prophylaxis processes. When you already have a trauma on disability in some joints, cigarettes make the whole situation worse.
- Joins surgeries are more successful with about 56% when the patient is non-smoker. On the other hand, a smoker after surgery needs more time for rehabilitation, but the final outcome is never guaranteed the way it could be, when the procedure is done on a person, who does not smoke.
Rheumatoid arthritis as one of the top negative effects of smoking on joints
Have you ever heard of rheumatoid arthritis? Well, some medical experts simply call it RA due to its complicated name, but there is nothing so difficult to understand about this disease. It`s simple as a childish game for a smoker to get RA, because it is the process of joint weakening. When having rheumatoid arthritis, patient has big pain in joints and eventually it becomes a chronic condition. No one from the outside world of contemporary medicine or science can tell you for sure what can cause RA. No one actually claims that smoking is the main reason for getting rheumatoid arthritis. However, scientists are certain that if you are a smoker, there is a bigger chance for you to develop it. Here is one of the explanations given in a research as to RA “if you are genetically predisposed to develop rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and you are a smoker, there is a risk of about 75% to have the disease, too. This risk is bigger in comparison to alcohol consumption on a normal basis of a glass of wine per day, for instance”. What rheumatoid arthritis causes you is enormous hurt in the zone of joints, predisposition to serious traumas and mostly decreasing of movement capability and flexibility of a person with years. Some scientists claim that if you try to cure RA, while smoking, drugs and massage procedures will not help – almost at all. But few months after quitting cigarettes, it would become almost possible and guaranteed to treat rheumatoid arthritis once and for all.
Effects of smoking on joints is mainly concentrated on susceptibility, inflammation, big pain and lack of beneficial results during hard and serious treatment of both, muscular and skeleton body system. Joints are in charge for human`s movements and survival in this world and every wrong movement with wobbly and hurting joint might be fatal. Make sure your joints are healthy enough with proper lifestyle, good nutrition and less bad habits like smoking.